gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by B33M3R View Post
Hi All

Currently weighing up a move from an E90 to an F10 as with the expanding family the boot on mine just isn't cutting it now I'm afraid.

As mines due replacement in a few months I'd been leaning towards the new F31 but I've just discovered I can secure a deal on the new 5 series for about the same money if not less than the equivalent 3 Series (work based scheme) which is quite a surprise.

I'd probably have never considered the 5 before so I'm reading up like mad and playing around with the options. Seems well equipped from the off in M Sport guise, especially now it gets business Nav and Xenon's as standard.

Couple of questions

Can anyone confirm if we get only get non-led front indicators on the standard or Adaptive Xenon's? [Front indicators are halogen lamps in both scenarios. You only get LEDs indicators if you choose LED Headlights pack] The chaps on the US site are freaking out over this apparent downgrade over the previous model.

I also see the sport auto has been dropped on the 520d, is the auto box still an 8 speed or is it more like the older versions? [8-speed with paddle shifters.]

Been down and had a look at the new LCI with the Mrs and it's size over the 3 is obviously quite substantial. Not had a test drive yet.

I'm considering either the 520d, 528i or the 530d M Sport. Obviously the extra toys will have to decrease as the engine size creeps up! [I had the pre-LCI 520D, very very good car, but have now ordered the LCI 535D. The 520D gives the best of economy and tax benefits, but the straight 6 in the 530 is a different beast. I migrated to the 535D because compared to my E92 330, the 520D just felt slow. Apart from a direct comparison with a 6-cyl engine, I can highly recommend the 520D.]

Anyone else who's moved up got any advice? [I have a E92 and E46; and comparing the E92 to a F10, all I would say is that the 5 is a lot more comfortable (OK, rephrase... it is insanely more posh, comfortable and goes over bumps and road imperfections with ease). I do have the Variable Damper Control in my F10 and that does change the ride dramatically. The F10 is still quite planted when I put this into Sport (or Sport+) modes, but this may be more due to the optional VDC. All in all, if you are looking for a bigger, more comfortable car than the 3xx, then it is the perfect choice. The craftsmanship and materials are a cut above - the 5 is almost a mini 7 series rather than a bigger 3 - that is how most people would see it in terms of its build quality and interiors. It is not going to be as spirited as a 3 series, but I guess the 5 was never meant to. It is a very sporty car - still the best in class. I did test drive the Merc E-Class, Audi A6, Jaguar XF; and my impression was that E-Class is just dull, the Audi good but very boring, the Jag very comfortable (far too comfortable) and I did not like the exterior shape]
In addition, you can read about all the LCI/ pre-LCI differences in this BMW bulletin F10_11_0713 MYA Bulletin_1.pdf.
(This bulletin is specifically for UK market)