View Single Post
      11-08-2011, 07:51 AM   #14
Soundstream
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i

I was wanting to get a 535xi, but all these jerk/hesitation issues are scaring me. How prevalent is this? I see no issues with the 550xi and would love to get that just to avoid the issue, but it would bump up the payments to more than what I had in mind.

Is there any way to tell in advance if a 535xi will have the issue? In other words, if I go onto the lot and pick a specific car, can something be done to check if the car will have that issue. Or is the issue not something that will show-up right away on a test drive?

As an aside, I have a 2010 E350 right now and for the first year, it had a jerkign issue when you first drove the car, then it went away. After my 1 year service, the problem is completely gone. They must have updated some software to fix it.

But the hesitation issue (like in the BMW) still exists. Very dangerous when trying to make a quick left at a light, or pulling out into traffic. The car drives, but even though you floor the gas pedal, it acts as if you are just feathering it.

All these manufacturers need to improve their "drive by wire" systems before they are ready for primtime.
Appreciate 0