View Single Post
      07-15-2011, 06:28 AM   #12
Noodles23
Private
Rep
Drives: 530D GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bickers1972 View Post
Ive just had my UK 530d GT in for its first service with 15k miles on the clock. Ive been advised that my rear tyres have 5mm tread depth however, they have both worn on the inside & require replacement as the cord is now showing & is dangerous. I understand the diagnosis however, I have driven the car carefully since i bought it as an ex BMW car with 6k on the clock last November. I have not driven through any major potholes & have always maintained the tyre pressures correctly. The service desk also suggested that as it is a heavy car, this could have contributed towards the excessive wear on the inside!
My car has exactly the same origin, Ex BMW car with 6k on the clock & 20" wheels shot with Pirelli P Zeros. It now has almost 21k and after reading this post I thought I'd better get the tyres checked.

Rear tyres have 2mm left, so thats around 2k miles before they reach the UK legal limit, and wear is even across the tyre. Front tyres have 5mm left, even wear again.

If I can get 23k out of the rears and 45k out of the fronts then uneven wear needing replacement at 15k obviously indicates a problem which I would hold BMW responsible for, especially as they seem to have added a 70% mark up to the cost of the tyres over what you might pay at an independent dealer!.Probably the same logic as hotel minibars, the more you can afford to pay in the first place the more they can try to stiff you on extras.
Appreciate 0