07-31-2010, 10:12 PM   #106
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 JB M3, 2012 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTerp View Post
I have driven the F10 (535 with standard suspension). I thought it was a "nice" car but was not overwhelmed by any means. While the drive did not allow me to "wring it out" the feeling I had walking away at the end was that the car was overweight, and that the N55, while not slow, was best described as brisk, not overpowering. The comments by others in this thread tend to reinforce those views, and similar comments have been made in various car mags.

I think the thing that bothers many people is that we should NOT have to buy an optional suspension to get good handling, which has always been the hallmark of BMWs for decades. The loss of steering feel is just one more irritant. Obviously, BMW wants to sell cars and probably figures that those who care more about handling and less about just having a roundel on their hoods, will just ante up for the optional suspension.
+1. In my previous posts I made the same observations when I test drove the 550 with sport package and the 535. This is exagerating, but it's almost like they added a Lexus like suspension and have a BMW suspension as an option. By that I mean the soon to come M package's suspension. I hope this will bring it back to it's roots. As for the steering, I don't know if there is any hope.
Appreciate 0