04-07-2011, 05:24 PM   #8
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghueser View Post
JON D..........please tell us the results of your EPS? (Electric Power Steering???) software upgrade?

Is there such a thing and if so, what were the results in your mind?

Man.......that 6er is good looking!
I returned the F12, collected my F10 this morning, drove it straight home in a very uncharacteristically sedate manner and put it into the garage, where it will stay until Saturday at the earliest.
As tempting as it is to assess my F10's handling after the steering software upgrade, it would be impossible to form an objective opinion this close to having spent a whole day throwing the F12 around the Aberdeenshire country roads, so with great restraint I shall wait a day or two before taking my car over the same routes.
Considering that this has been such a contentious issue, I'm very keen to see whether the software upgrade has improved the on-centre feedback, but if yesterday's experience is any indicator, I feel that I might be disappointed.
The F12 immediately felt far more responsive and reminiscent of my old E92 - the steering was very much quicker than the F10 with bags of feedback and it instantly went exactly where it was pointed around the twisty roads. However, as soon as I was tootling along in traffic I found myself having to make constant corrections just to keep it in a straight line - just like the F10.
It looks as if this is an unwelcome characteristic of EPS that's here to stay.
Nonetheless, I'll asses my F10 over a period of several days with an open mind and let you know what I think.

Last edited by Jon D; 04-07-2011 at 05:47 PM..
Appreciate 0