View Single Post
      05-13-2018, 08:20 AM   #19
mrashton
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 G32 6GT; 2014 F45 218i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp123 View Post
I have a build date of March 2011. So I don't know where that lies in terms of the revised n47.

Some say that the f10 altogether does not have the timing chain problems as did the e60 n47 and some say that the problems are there as it's the same engine carried over.

Evidently it is as owners have experienced the same e60 issues on the f10.

Disappointing that a big marque such high as bmw did this and not rectify on a new model launch.

One of the reasons I have keep my extended warranty and main dealer service for when this problem arises I have a leg to stand on.

I will most definitely ask the dealer to log my visit and mark in the the future to carry out further check.

I have just had the major oil service and the health check reported everything well. Don't know how thorough these are but will use this as well as leverage to the case should it arise.

Sp
The issue with these modern engines is that the timing chain is now at the rear of the engine due to pedestrian impact safety reasons so doing any check can only involve listening to the engine and that is very subjective unless the timing chain and tensioners have already failed. Due to its position there are no manual checks that can be carried out as far as I'm aware without removing the engine from the car.
Appreciate 1
Sp12349.50