Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
I think it's funny that people are loathing the loss of the i6 when it comes to "performance". Are we still talking about a 240hp 6cyl in a 4000lb car? Are you saying you will miss the sound and grunt of that "strung out" 6 making the earth spin with it's massive 240hp at 6000 rpm?

Skip the new 528i if that's the case. You can probably pick up a camry that will get you a nice 6 cyl with 240hp. Lol
Clearly you have not owned any I6 engines in your time. Its not just the fact they are replacing the I6 with the I4 in this particular application but rather this ends the development of more powerful I6's which have been happening for decades. The 255hp output version in the 330/530i e60 was great. Car weighed 3500 pounds (3600 for the e60) and it was a pleasure to drive. They have never been the fastest but that does not mean because they are not a total beast that one cannot enjoy their sound and feel.

I think 240 hp is simply way underpowered for a 4000 pound sedan. The e60 was much lighter and I would say the 255hp was JUST enough for it to be fun to drive so I agree with the raw power arguement. However sound has nothing to do with power. Some huge engines sound like crap and some smaller ones sound amazing so you cannot go by size or output of engine to judge sound.

I have had i6 before and was not too attached with it. Sure, smooth motor but nothing that was so addicting that I will be sad to see it gone. The new i4 turbo is a decent motor. With the new i4 5series I got 37mpg average on a 200km drive with city (20km) but mostly highway at speeds between 110 kmh- 125kmh.

To me, since the i6 is the low level BMW option they are smart to make it economical. Nobody Is buying a 528 over a 535 because the 528 has a better motor. They are buying it to save money and now they can save money in fuel too.

I will say that I'm sad that there is very noticeable turbo lag with the i4. And I think you will see many complaints here about this.

I though would buy a 535 or 550 if I want a stout motor not a 528 which I would buy for economy.
Appreciate 0