08-31-2011, 05:31 PM   #6
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnycow View Post
Thanks for the respond. I got fitted, but they didn't offer many bikes for my height (5'0) that I liked, so that is why I'm building my own. I spent 1 grand on the frame, so I don't want to spend more than another grand on the rest. I just recently got into biking when I was in Europe, so this is all brand new to me.
Are you building a 700c or 650c frame? At your height, I'd imagine you'd enjoy slightly smaller wheels, but if you can make 700's work, it won't be a problem.

Stick with aluminum components for the stem, bar and seatpost, and if you're not looking to go crazy, consider a full build kit along these lines:
http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?...ajor=1&minor=2

That will get you everything you need aside from a frame, fork, pedals and the basics like bottle cages. SRAM Apex and Rival are good starting points, as is Shimano 105 or Campagnolo Centaur or Veloce.

If you're comfortable building it up yourself, or have a friend who can help, you can usually beat those prices, but that's a good start. You can always upgrade things later, with wheels and tires being the area that you'll likely notice the improvement.
Appreciate 0