View Single Post
      04-19-2014, 03:44 AM   #1
Binary
Elderly Member
England
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne x45e on order

F10/11 screen scratch - DIY

Reading the many posts on various forums about scratches in the coasting on the nav screen I decided to tackle mine.

I felt the only way to completely remove the scratches would be to completely remove the coating, time will tell whether I need to add an anti-glare protector but to be honest my screen is barely visible when the sunroof is open even with the coating on.

Tools required: -
Torx T20 (to remove the screen)
Torx T9 (to separate the housing from the screen)
Novus plastic polishing kit purchased from Amazon for £15

I didn't fancy doing it in the car so I removed the screen as per the youtube video

Having removed the screen i separated it from the housing by removing the 3 torx screws that hold the back box on and then 4 torx screws that hold the screen to the housing
The good thing about doing this is that as the housing bezel sits over the outer edges of the screen you don't have issues with not getting all of the coating off tight into the corners.
You can see how badly scratched my screen was from the photo.

Once separated I removed the coating using the novus 3 polish and then went over the screen with the novus 2, I was careful not to put too much pressure on the screen and the whole process took about 40 minutes as you can see once this was done the screen was flawless.
The screen is now back in the car and although it's not particularly sunny today the reflections look no worse than they did before.

Hope this helps anyone else who fancies a go at doing it themselves
Attached Images

Last edited by Binary; 04-19-2014 at 03:53 AM..
Appreciate 0