06-10-2014, 08:55 PM   #9
mko9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz77 View Post
You really can't have your cake and eat it too when upgrading to larger turbochargers. When you start going bigger, you must make some sacrifices in low-end response to gain top-end power.

Have you ever driven or ridden in a very high (500+) horsepower 4-cylinder turbocharged car? If you are not in the right gear with the revs up, a stock Honda Civic will show you tail lights. Even the big single turbo N54-powered cars making 600-700WHP don't really start moving until well past 3,000 RPM. It doesn't stop these cars from running 130+mph in 1/4 mile or under 7 seconds from 60-130mph. You just have to be in the right gear to take advantage of the power band.

This upgrade is very mild and the fact that nothing is lost below 4,500 RPM while picking up 40-50WHP up top is actually quite nice.
My only other turbo experience is a Skyline GTR I drove and tracked for a few years in England, so no big turbos, the was the GTS-T drivers. But I am well aware of the issue (watch the Top Gear review of the Evo VIII). My point (unsaid) is that in daily driving you would have to be revving the nuts off it to ever see any of the benefits. No doubt it will have effects at the drag strip or if you are routinely running the car to redline, but there is no gain at all for normal driving conditions.

'04 330i ZHP
'11 535i
Appreciate 0