View Single Post
      08-04-2012, 08:45 PM   #10
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
On those who experienced yellowing of clearbra, I found this post from a detailing forum quite useful. BTW Xpel warrants it's film against yellowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPEL Tech
Hi Guys,
There is still some confusion here, so I thought I would pop in and clear it up.
You can buff, polish and/or seal any of our films, including Ultimate (self-healing film). *What you want to watch out for is sealants, waxes or polishes that contain a large amount of either naphtha or kerosene. *These are common ingredients, which if high enough in concentration, can cause polyurethane (no matter what brand it is) to discolor over time. *One irony in the paint protection film industry is that one of the most commonly prescribed products by unwitting installers to use on paint protection film is Plexus, which is 23% naphtha. *We have conducted lab studies with this product and found that it does indeed cause paint protection film to yellow horrendously if used repeatedly over time. *Most customers simply don't notice because their car is not white or silver, and they like that it makes the film feel slippery. *If it feels slippery, it must be good, right?
On the buffing/polishing aspect, what should have been conveyed by my staff is that polishing should not ever be necessary on our self-healing film, rather than it cannot be done at all. *Since the film heals swirls and light scratches on its own, there should be no reason to buff.
On the Quartz sealant, I must admit I am not familiar with this product, so I can't give any truly definitive advice. *The best thing to do would be to get an MSDS sheet on the product and check for the ingredients I mentioned above. *Or, the truly simple thing to do (as someone else suggested) is to use our purpose made sealant.
Let me know if you have any other questions.
Best Regards,

Tim Hartt
Chief Operating Officer
XPEL Technologies Corp.
Appreciate 0