View Single Post
      10-31-2016, 07:20 PM   #41
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

OP, some thoughts; there is a known issue with F10 4.4l engine and owners not driving them hard enough to seal the engines resulting in excessive oil consumption. Not unknown for dealers to assist in properly running in the engine resulting in reduction in oil consumption. This could be an explanation of what your friend witnessed.

Although I'm not condoning the alleged abuse of another's property nor am I advocating breaking the law, providing the car had been fully warmed up (oil, tyres, etc) straight line 'sprints' shouldn't have damaged the car. The general unwritten real rule of thumb for m cars is gently bring car up to operating temperature, then full throttle acceleration in short bursts, avoid sustained hard driving (I'm not talking about maintaining steady high speed on autobahn, etc).

You can tell when a DCT equipped F10 M5 has been driven hard as you can start to feel the gear changes, throttle response becomes more aggressive (could be an explanation of car sounding different), etc. Prelonged smooth driving results in inperceptable gear changes, smooth throttle response, increased fuel economy, etc. To reset the car either start driving smoothly for a period of time, or alternatively don't drive the car for about two weeks (noting that the later may not be a practical option). The F10 M5 adapts to driving style same as other BMWs.

Pilot Super Sports are quite sticky, so the surface can look somewhat somewhat worse for wear after enthuastic and not abusive driving. Having chunks of tyre missing would be indicative of extreme track use / burnouts / drifting, etc. Would need to see pictures of the tyres to comment further.

Finally, properly testing a performance car post-service is not as uncommon as you/your friend may think. There is a difference between properly testing and abusing though...
Appreciate 0