08-10-2015, 09:33 AM   #6
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgorm View Post
Interesting that you could get one that fit the middle seat. The LATCH system only has connections for the out-board seats. I found that stretching the tethers to the LATCH hooks was difficult and resulted in an unstable seat (i.e. it moves around too much).
Glad you appear to have found something that fits.
Check your manuals for both the car and the car seat, many (likely most) do not recommend using the LATCH in the middle. Has to do with the distance between the latch points you're using, to avoid exactly the situation you mentioned. But it may feel secure and still be out of the recommended distances. Again, both the car seat and the car itself should have guidelines on what distance is appropriate and safe to use the LATCH.

Same holds true for child weight, once the child plus car seat get beyond a certain weight, manual says to use the seatbelt instead of LATCH. My oldest outgrew the car seat itself (based on seated shoulder height) before he hit that weight limit for the LATCH, but he is tall and thin so I would imagine most children will hit that LATCH weight limit first and need to stop using the LATCH before stop using the car seat (and go to booster…).

Just a heads up in case anyone didn't know...

Last edited by chrisny; 08-10-2015 at 09:39 AM..
Appreciate 0