05-04-2016, 02:48 PM   #25
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
So I'm going to play dummy here just because it's great to hear your guy's input and it should make sense to me but...when the tech says he was able to get it back within OEM specs regarding the alignment wouldn't the OEM specs be null because it's now lowered? I remember on my Accord and it was on coilovers I had to take it to a specialty shop for lowered vehicles and they aligned it old skool. He explained because it sits that low the vehicle cannot be aligned to OEM specs but it can be aligned to get camber, caster and toe at the height it's sitting. Which totally made sense to me. Or maybe in the BMW it's fine and I'm just not comprehending what he meant by BWM specs?
I think there is inherently more adjustment available to us on BMWs. Maybe because these are enthusiast cars and BMW expects us to mod, or simply because they are German and they tend to over engineer everything. The Accord that I raced also needed a completely different adjustment than OEM, because once coilovers, camber kit, and different control arms were installed, the geometry of the suspension was too far off from OEM to be adjusted back to OEM. This doesn't seem to be the case with BMWs, they leave enough adjustment to be able to lower it without having to reconfigure the entire geometry of the suspension. I have seen BMWs on air bags that were still within OEM tolerance when sitting so low you couldn't get a pack of cigarettes under it
Appreciate 1