View Single Post
      04-09-2013, 08:15 AM   #3
Luigi524TD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e MSport

I used to be a "road warrior" ... putting 35K-50K miles a year on my 'work' BMW. In most cases those were highway miles and I was the sole occupant. I maintained them regularly - frequent oil changes were the most often needed. Brake pads lasted forever since I did so little stopping. Coolant changes were easy every 2-3 years ... along with the every two year brake fluid flushes. My sort of driving also reduced the probability of the oh-so-often BMW automatic transmission failures!

The most 'wear' was headlight sandblasting from road grit but the rest of the car(s) looked and ran better than most other BMWs that were used for 1/4 the miles but ran hard and put away wet!

The point is, miles alone are just one factor to consider when considering a pre-owned car. Properly maintained and regularly serviced is (IMHO) a prime factor to consider. And, if the price is right I say don't be too quick to cross that 550 off your list! BUT, DO have a qualified BMW mechanic do a thorough inspection to tell you exactly what you're buying. (Do that even if the prospect has 1/2 as many miles!)
2013 X1 3.5 MSport
1998 Z3 2.8
Appreciate 0