View Single Post
      10-13-2010, 09:02 AM   #47
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
I like the adaptive drive for its anti-roll as it works well. Unfortunately, I find the difference between normal and sport not enough. I expected sport to be tighter as BMW info was that sport mode is supposed to make the chassis tighter than M sport suspension, but this info is questionable now. There is not any difference in tightness between sport and sport+ imo, only that the stability control is limited in the latter. But all this is with reference to very smooth roads, as there have been a few forummers reporting that sport is tight enough which imo such impression being affected by the roads. I'm hoping that the change of springs will do the trick, affecting the damping and the tightness. My recollection (based on testing the standard F10 months back) is that the standard suspension is superior to normal mode in adaptive drive (minus the anti-roll, which doesn't quite make sense as adaptive drive has the variable damping which is supposed to work better). I told my SE this a few days ago, and he was surprised. I'm not sure whether the sole agent here has any test car with adaptive drive, for him to test.

i think Adaptive drive is amazing technology (although ive never driven it) - particularily the way the antiroll bars work -at high speed they need to be tight otherwise you'll float, and at low speed having no antiroll gives an amazing ride. This is something u can't replicate with a static aftermarket antiroll bar.
The electronic dampers it appears is not as straight forward, and perhaps some of the lack of full satisfaction lies there.
Does anyone know how the electronic valve system works? Is it mechanical or magnetic? This would affect whether the damper can function in a 'dynamic' sense, adjusting to the road conditions in real time.
You have expressed lack of satisfaction with the passive settings of adaptive - surely this can be easily fixed by bmw in the software, hopefully there will be a retro patch later.
Changing the springs could improve the overall adaptive system, the springs being the only static component there is always a compromise there. However u have to watch out for the matching with the software settings of the antiroll and damper; the springs would be stiffer but the antiroll and damper program is still the same, it would be so much easier +better if bmw just improved the software :

anyway the car is still great we cant forget that
Appreciate 0