View Single Post
      06-20-2011, 03:05 PM   #71
Z4C_luvver
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Phoenix Yellow Z4C

I went the other way

Well, sort of... I recently purchased a 550i chrome grille for my Sophisto Grey 520d. I thought the brighter grille actually looked better on the SG than the dark one.

Here's a few thoughts on the replacement process.

Firstly, thanks Lacster on your post. I don't think I would've attempted it without it.

Now, the removal. I'm an Auto Engineer, and this was not an easy thing to do. Reading Lacster's post and doing it myself had me thinking that BMW had tightened tolerances and fitment between then and now.

Firstly, a few pointers. When you undo the bolts and scrivets holding the bumper in place, don't expect it to open and fall forward like a gaping mouth at you. You have to prise it forward and you'll get about an inch or two opening (at best) to shine a torch down and get your screwdriver to.

Before you start the process of pulling the grilles out, I would (and did) put some lo-tack masking tape around the grille openings so you can reduce the risk of damaging the paint when you're pushing against the bumper fascia and when the grilles finally pop out.

I was really surprised at the force required to pull these out. I'd say, if your car was a recent build, don't expect an easy time of it. Once you do and learn from one side though, the other side seems a little easier. At least you know what to expect.

Of, course, it's all worth it though....
Appreciate 0