View Single Post
      07-15-2010, 11:10 AM   #66
DerekS
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
The F10 has shifted away from the core values of BMW and the reasons that I have purchased 5 BMW's. The F10 is one giant compromise designed to appeal to a broader market and an older group. This includes everything about the car. The F10 exterior design is very safe and not very innovative. The driving characteristics due to the size of the car and over reliance on electronics create artificial sport characteristics. BMW has lost its way.
Having owned and driven both 3 Series and 5 Series over the past 26 years and having driven the F10 535i, I sadly agree with your concluding remarks.

To put it simply, the F10 (with Sport Package), to me at least, did not feel like driving a BMW. If I had been driving with blinders on, I would most likely have thought I was steering a Lexus. The almost total absence of engine sounds (and BMW is renowned for some glorious ones !!!) and the ponderous feeling at the non-communicative helm gave me the impression that I was driving some kind of limo - rather than a BMW 5er. At the conclusion of my test drive when it came time for me to park the car back at the dealership, the lack of agility (long wheelbase + wide turning circle) reinforced the car's limo-like quality.