12-31-2014, 09:32 AM   #38
Mr Clean
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TShoot View Post
Wow, thanks for the incredibly thorough explanations! I wonder what that second insurance policy really is...?

When you installed the catless downpipe, it should have thrown a CEL. Did the JB4 allow you to clear it and does it stay clear? I know that emission stations can check to see how long the CEL has been cleared. At least in MD is had to be cleared for around 100 miles or so. I did it for my son's car right before the inspection but they told us come back after he put a couple of hundred miles on the car.

The reason I ask is that I love the thought of a catless downpipe but I believe it is going to throw a CEL. Since I don't have a JB4 tune that allows me to clear it, how often does it happen because I believe Bavarian Auto sells a tool to allow you to clear it. But, if it is going to happen constantly, that would be a real pain.

And to remove the badges, did you have to use the green mint waxy type of floss or would any type do?

Thanks again for the sharing all of that info with the board.
Sorry for the late reply, I was caught up during the past few days.

Immediately after installing the DP (downpipe) and verifying everything was properly connected, I started the car to be greeted with the dreaded "drivetrain malfunction" light as well as the check engine light illuminated. My heart sank for a bit since I thought I had to trace and diagnose the issue at 11:30pm in the night but I got my self together and began to troubleshoot.
I let the car idle down for a minute and went back underneath it to check for air leaks or funny/odd sounds ect. After that I shut the car down, attached my laptop with the JB4 interface program loaded and read the codes, after which I deleted them and tried to read the codes again. The second time, nothing showed up and I proceeded to start the car again. There was no check engine light or codes this time and I proceeded to drive the car for 15 miles on the highway to warm to up fully and experience the new power. To this day, everything has been great.

To be honest, I don't think that I will be able to pass inspection with the DP since the JB4 only prevents the check engine from being illuminated on the dash. I will have to reinstall the stock DP, drive with it for a few days (or 200 miles) and get the car inspected. Once I pass I can always reinstall the catless DP.

And I did use the green mint floss, which is why I think I experinced a much easier removal than others.