07-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #12
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A
We need to see the Sedan version to see how the greenhouse and hoffmeister kink will be differed. Those aspects are so perfect on the F10 IMO.

My thoughts on it via a thread I started on it on another forum:

http://www.autozeitung.de/erlkoenige...tbau-gn-401330

It's actually quite scary to think about where they will go from such a perfectly balanced, timeless and just purely well done design to me.

My prediction is it will be like a not-so-drastic version of the E39 to E60 transition. The E39 was so perfectly timeless, so smooth, non-fussy, just as balanced as a design can get. BMW felt they couldn't improve on that type of language so did something totally different, enter E60. The F10 I feel is BMW's case-study in bringing back the sophisticatedly tasteful, non-gimmicky, purely timeless styles, rounded corners and shapes (round shapes are generally considered more timeless than angular shapes), etc.

Where will they go from there? I think once again they'll find themselves in a bind by trying to improve upon the F10 if they try and work too closely off of the F10 formula (i.e they'd probably end up putting out a car that appears identical).

So I "predict" to see the typical angularification of what are currently smooth/rounded/curvy edges, and we already can see the F10's perfectly straight character line that is harmoniously matched to the glasshouse direction and stance of the car will now be an ascending one that starts to go in its own direction a'la F30, E90 and the plethora of cars with that type of line. I predict sharpened headlights like most cars today instead of the smooth and timeless rounded ones in the F10.

To go further; I "predict" we'll see some "fussy'ness" added to what is the F10 formula, i.e perhaps more outwardly complex sheetmetal surfaces instead of the very subtly-yet very complex sheetmetal on the F10 (think perhaps more overstated elements than the currents very understated). Like with more angular and sharpened edges.

Apparently it will lose a lot of weight, which of course is gonna make for a totally different driving character I'm sure.

Also it seems like they're unfortunately moving to shorter (6 year) model years which is uncharacteristic of a Premium Car. Maybe it's because their facelifts are so subtle as to protect the pre-LCI designs from getting "dated" prematurely, the tradeoff being one full year shaved off of the entire production run. Instead of something like what Mercedes does which is blatant about-fact changes mid-cycle, instantly dating the pre-facelfit cars.
Interesting analysis on the design. While the F10 is a very classic look, I think its just time to move on honestly (then again I like the E60's design so many may disagree with me lol).

One thing I would like to ask F10 owners (because honestly I don't haven't spent much time with the F10) is how does this prototype look size wise compared to the F10? I know the overall length isn't accurately portrayed because of the cammo, but to me the wheelbase looks a good bit longer than the F10. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0