Thread: DCT in xDrive?
View Single Post
      01-10-2011, 12:11 PM   #3
AVIMAX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: last BMW was 2014 535xd

If you like a manual transmission and are going to buy an F10 xdrive, get the sport auto transmission. I have not tried the regular transmission, but have to assume it is similar to the sport transmission in normal mode. My last car was a 335i cab with 6MT, and I was hoping to get my F10 with 6MT, but in the end it was not available with xdrive. I do miss my 335 after 2 months mainly because of the transmission, but I still love the F10 and probably wouldn't go back if I had the chance. I find when in sport mode, the transmission is much better than normal mode, gear changed happen at much higher revs, (5,000rpm not 2,500 rpm) gears are held longer, most importantly when you take your foot off the accelerator (normal model will quickly upshift in this case) making cornering much more enjoyable. I found the normal mode very intrusive, the sport mode much more enjoyable, and the car is much more lively. So in the end I guess I'm saying if you really like a manual transmission, then you will have to give up xdrive. But if you do go with xdrive, make sure to get the sport transmission. Sorry no comparison to DCT, never drove one.
Appreciate 0