View Single Post
      10-10-2011, 08:10 PM   #69
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
I do not see anywhere that I state anything about status. It is simply the low level 5 series engine package that is being discussed here. If you take that as me saying that somebody who purchases this is inferior then that can only be a complex you have given yourself. The fact is that the 528i is the economy 5 series and it now has a more economical engine.
The N52 is hardly 'economy' if you're refering to gas consumption vs. the N55, if you're refering to purchase price, then how is that not about 'status'? If it were not, why would anyone not want to pay a lower price?

Quote:
I honestly am having a hard time following your post so I am sorry if I am responding in a way that suggests anything other than what you meant.
That's ok, if I had it all down I would not need to post..

Quote:
To me the NA i6 was a weak motor in the 528. It has low power for a 4000lb car, it has low tq for a big heavy car and if I was looking for a motor that I wanted a little better performance I would not be buying a 528i because of both the i6 and the i4. I would instead consider a 535 or 550 because they have more power the 535 really is not much more money as it has a few options standard that I would be putting in the 528 anyhow.
Torque vs. turbo lag.. its your choice
Power vs. weight, this one is purely subjective.. i find it ok.

Quote:
I think that if I have the choice between two motors that to me are equally underpowered for a car I would go with the one that gives me better economy. Does that make sense?
NOPE!
I would choose the one that revs to 7rpm, constant HP curve, awesome sound, natural balance, instant response..
Ofcourse I forsake, better milleage, much larger low rpm torque, minor weight savings (30kg?)... and thats about it

'Fun'/'feel' is subjective.. i prefer instant response and steadily increasing power with wide range, some may prefer a small wait followed by a sledgehammer (as evidenced by Sado/Masochisim)

Quote:
The other thing is that if you are driving the 528i i4 properly you will barely ever feel the lag. I stated it as I can see it becoming an issue with people that want to stand on it at 2500 RPM and pass somebody. Downshift a few gears get the rpm to 5000 and put your foot in it and you will eliminate the lag in almost any car that people complain about turbo lag.
Here is an equivalent 'trade' to the N52 vs N20

Would you trade the N55 for a 'Nxx' that was 4.5L NA V8 that revs to 8k rpm, 320HP, 350NM and only weighed 30kgs more, for the same price, also called 535i?
Because that is same 'trade' you are making when you go from a 3.0l NA I6 to a 2.0l T i4 ... (displace, cyclinders, revs, Hp, torque, weight,price all proportionally adjusted)

I think its obvious.
Don't let the marketing obscure the facts.
Appreciate 0