Drives: F80 M3

Post First Drive Review of 2012 BMW 528i with Turbo 4 by Motor Trend

BIMMERPOST NEWS
First Drive Review of 2012 BMW 528i by Motor Trend
COMMENTS
Name:  2012-BMW-528i-front-three-quarters 2.jpg
Views: 53936
Size:  85.3 KB

Motor Trend has driven the latest 528i with a turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder (N20) engine instead of the traditional six-cylinder engine. What's their take?

In sum: It offers more power, performance, and fuel economy from a smaller, more efficient, albeit more expensive, package.

MT also offered the following points:
Quote:
The new 528i's turbo-four produces the same horsepower as the old free-breathing six, but 1500 RPM sooner. More importantly, it produces 30 more lb-ft of torque that comes on 1500 RPM lower, down to 1200 RPM according to BMW. The company even claims the new four-cylinder will beat the old six to 60 mph by a not-insignificant 0.4 second.

The clincher is that the new engine returns 23 mpg city and 34 mpg highway, 1 mpg more city and 2 mpg more highway than the outgoing car.
Quote:
With 30 more lb-ft of torque arriving much earlier in the power band, the new four-cylinder feels surprisingly strong off the line and delivers smooth, linear power as revs climb. Compared to the naturally aspirated six-cylinder, the new four feels more torque-y and responsive at low revs, but the six shines at high RPMs. Here the four's lower horsepower peak makes itself known as power falls off at high RPM where the six would scream until redline. We loved BMW's high-revving six for its top-end thrills, but the sad fact is that virtually no one buying a 528i drove or will drive it that way, and the difference is lost on them. For the average buyer, the new four will do exactly what it's supposed to.
Quote:
As you'd expect, the new 528i drives like old 528i and the more-powerful 535i otherwise. It provides a firm but smooth ride and nicely isolates the occupants from wind, road, and tire noise. Throw it at a few curves and it handles its size nicely, gripping evenly and controlling body motion well. It's certainly no M5, but the turbo-four's low-end torque allows it to pull out of a corner with a bit of authority when the need arises.

Also see these first drive reviews of the N20 powered 528i:

Automobile Review
Insideline Review

Appreciate 0