01-04-2014, 12:12 PM   #35
zzzbullseye
BMW Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i (F10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover432 View Post
I doubt they'd replace with a long block vs a short block because of scarce bolts in NA. They can be shipped overnight from Germany for $100.00. Of course if they are in short supply in Germany ....

Its hard to know if they have the correct diagnosis now, but given that they are replacing the engine, I guess it doesn't matter. I'm a bit concerned that they couldn't do the initial measurement correctly, makes me wonder what else they can't do right. Good luck though.
I'm not sure measuring the height of the piston through the spark plug hole is ever going to be deadly accurate, and I wouldn't see this as an indictment of the mechanic's ability... I suspect there was really no way of knowing for sure what the issue was until they pulled the head and yanked the piston. They were searching for clues prior to that to see if they could avoid full breakdown of the engine.

I guess by nature I'm not quite as suspicious of mechanics as some. I think my description of this saga, twice removed from the mechanics mouth, may lead one to believe the diagnosis path has been one of throwing ideas against the wall to see what sticks. I really think (perhaps wishfully so..) the work done so far, has progressed with a more direct plan of attack than just random measuring, poking, prodding and twisting of wrenches. I have to believe this situation is somewhat unusual in nature...I mean how many engines leave the factory in Germany with one of the cylinders out of round? I wouldn't think many. So, by process of elimination, it took awhile to get to the heart of the problem.

I asked my SA point blank about his confidence level in the mechanic's ability to accurately reassemble all the constituent pieces of the engine not included with the short or long block kits. He indicated that he was very confident. I'd like to believe I received an honest, candid opinion, but I suppose he could be telling me what I want to hear.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating, and ultimately, time will tell if the repairs to be made will prove successful or not.