Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonw View Post
It's got an M badge on it !!!!

You've missed the point totally .
They have an M badge just like the old M535i and M635i, but they aren't badged as true M cars you need to understand the difference. I know a guy who used to have an M635i so I know firsthand what that car was like and from what I'm reading, these new M Performance cars live up to their badging.

They are half-way M cars, designed for someone who wants a car that is a little sportier than a regular 5 series but doesn't need (or want to pay for) the full M5. You can't just look at the base price of the M5, you have to remember that M cars require Inspections every 15,000 miles which are a $1-2,000 expense the regular cars do not need, insurance rates are a little higher for M cars, gas mileage is significantly worse, etc. etc. there are plenty of reasons for a person to want a more understated sporty car. BMW's press releases indicate that these cars have firmer bushings than regular series production cars, unique suspension, hydraulic power steering instead of the electronic system in the normal cars...the bushings and power steering alone would make these cars worth it to me. I am very seriously interested in an M135i or M235i if I ever decide to let go of my E82.

Most people who are fanatical enough about BMWs to spend time on this forum would prefer the actual M5, that's obvious, but there is still a market for these cars and I'm glad they are finally making them.
Appreciate 0