View Single Post
      01-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #1
gordonl47
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

2011 550i and Ethanol Issue?

We have a 2011 550i delivered in Munich week 31 (we live in Seattle). I recently had two occurances where the engine stuttered and sputtered, the warning lights came on, and in the first instance the engine shut down repeatedly (I had the car towed from my driveway).

After numerous discussions and several days I learned that the fuel was testing 12%+ ethanol. I also learned that our dealership has been getting many similar complaints and they were testing the gas and finding ethanol levels from 12% to 15% in each case. According to the service department BMW is aware of the new V8's inablility to deal with high-ethanol fuel after a period of long idle (e.g., 30-45 minutes) or extended stop and go traffic, possibly related to the high-pressure fuel pump. The only recommendation they could make was to use a higher quality fuel. I typically use premium from a high volume national discount club which purchases fuel from a supplier that also has the local contract for a national brand . I've switched to one of the other national brands and so far the problem hasn't reoccured.

According to the dealership this is happening with 2011 550i and 550GT and 2010 and 2011 7-series. Question - is anyone else out there experiencing anything similar or have you heard of a similar problem/situation/response?

TIA
gordon
Appreciate 0