View Single Post
      10-31-2013, 11:40 AM   #20
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgorm View Post
My retired E60 had TPMS, but as stated all F10s have FTM (Flat Tire Monitor) instead that works using the ABS system.
Last winter I had a blowout. The FTM only came on after the tire was completely flat with 0 pressure. But as advertised, all the tires looked exactly the same. I checked all of the tires and the indicated tire from the FTM was the dead one. I filled it up to 40psi. The FTM went off with no initialization.
After the holidays I drove to my trusted tire shop. On the way the car was starting to squirm but the FTM was still off. After 20kms I arrived at the shop. As I pulled in the FTM popped on. The tire once again had 0 pressure. The shop was able to source the replacement tire and I was sent on my way.
Pros: I was able to drive approx. 50kms in total, carry five people and luggage, get to the shop without a tow.
Cons: The FTM only did what its name suggests; tell you the tire is flat. If I had had some prior indication the tire might have been saved. The flat tire was toast, with rubber coming off on the inside. The exterior looked perfect, except for the 3.5 in. spike through the middle of the tread.

When you get your car, check the on-board owners manual. Unlike the paper manual, it only talks about FTM with no mention of the TPMS. I suspect U.S cars show the opposite.
Enjoy your ride.
Good advice to check the manual (and the tire pressures). I'm wondering if the Canadian cars can be "coded" to enable the US TPMS system if the monitors are installed in the wheels? I also wonder why the Canadian system is different than the US car's tire monitoring system?