09-03-2014, 03:00 PM   #67
WilliCO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 535 xDrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Interesting comments. But does the car need to be so 'tightly strung', if you are refining the suspension with adaptive technology?

I guess you are not a driver who sees the finer characteristics of a continuously adaptive system as translating to a better system. I know some like the predictability of a passive system, constant stiffness, etc., I'm one who gets the "soft where possible, firm when required" approach, which is where, IMO, adaptive suspension scores highly. ARS changes the game for needing a continuously tight feeling suspension, roll control 'on demand' only, changes the feel completely.

HighlandPete
Actually there is something to the athletic feeling I get from a car with an always-tight suspension. I agree with you that the adaptive model is soft unless it needs to be hard, and that correctly translates into a more relaxed feeling on the road, until you have to swerve or something. Having a car that feels relaxed makes me think I bought a car that's less sporty than it is. This is in my head, but I have a feeling the automotive press is experiencing the same struggle, based on what they've written about this car.

I haven't driven a 3 or 4 series with DHP, but people tell me that in Sport mode, those cars feel "stiffer" than the 704 suspension equivalents. I feel sure that is not the case with the F10. If the Sport mode were somewhat more aggressive, I might have no complaint, save maybe the price.

I wish Dinan would release that Shockware product for the 535.