View Single Post
      09-04-2014, 10:25 AM   #73
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillInDenver View Post
Yeah, but Cadillac, Lexus, and Audi are all making cars that provide superior driving dynamics at the same size and comparable weight. Even BMW's own 6 series. The Panamera is even bigger and heavier.

You're right; BMW changed the recipe for the 5 with the F10. It's been undeniably successful for them so far be it from me to judge. I just feel like my last one was a lot more fun!
The 5-series being a step down from the 7-series, rather than a step up from the 3-series does clearly have an impact.

Your market may be different than over here in the UK, where the 5-series clearly holds its place among the competition. The 5-series is at the top of the executive list, often takes first place in the 'best' list, but sometimes in second place to the Jaguar XF. Audi A6 is typically in around 4th place and the Lexus lower down still. Mercedes E Class often sits in the middle.

I sense we may be after a slightly different combination of luxury, refinement and dynamics. Whether that is due to use and efficiency, road quality, or the type of user, or a combination of factors, always hard to quantify. But it does appear BMW are pitching it pretty much in the correct place for our market. Over here BMW are often praised for the blend of qualities in the 5-series. There is the usual caveat that we need to specify the right options if we want to make it a better drive.

Also note the largest part of the 5-series market over here are 4-cylinder models, so lighter and more agile, that may be a factor in motor magazine assessment. A rare (if ever) sighting of a 550i and no xDrive versions also reflects in user choice and opinion on sportiness.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0