View Single Post
      11-15-2011, 09:25 AM   #10
androdev
Rep
Drives: 520D F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_S5 View Post
As you have seen in the above post. The FTM can pick up a slow leak for non RFT because it can sense the change in diameter of the tires. For RFT, it is impossible to pick up the change unless there is a huge variance in tire pressure ie 30 psi vs 10-15 psi.

I think the VW sensor will not pick up a slow leak on vehicle equipped with RFT unless it is fitted with a TPMS. So again is not a design flaw, the FTM does it job by letting you know when there's a flat tire. When you hear the warning, you are suppose to drive slowly (80km/h or below) to get the tire change. So I don't think you will be put in great danger by the system.

I would just ditch the RFT and go with non RFT and a mobility kit.
I understand your point of view. I should have explained a bit more. In India (where I bought this car), RFTs are mandatory. You can't buy any BMW here with regular tires. I can do an after-market swap and that voids my warranty (no kidding) as per the dealer. RFTs are expensive to replace. They have to be replaced if driven at low pressure for extended period. So the only way I can ensure I don't risk the premature replacement of RFTs due to low-pressure (not flat) ride is to manually check pressure regularly. I have the RFT insurance but my premium will go up if I claim replacement for minor issues.

Ideally BMW should have thought about it. They should have either given TPMS (direct one) when they made RFTs mandatory here - or given the option of having tubeless tires with FTM (flat tire monitor).

I agree the worst-case (flat tire) is addressed. But all my life I have only dealt with slow-leaking tires and never really a sudden flat tire.

Last edited by androdev; 11-15-2011 at 10:19 AM..
Appreciate 0