07-19-2010, 09:26 PM   #4
MBrown1003
Eight Bimmers and counting
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoganzdad View Post
They are two very different beasts. I've owned two E60s and now have an 09 M3 (Coupe, Interlagos Blue, M-DCT, etc.). And I have recently driven both the F10 535i and 550i. The M3 is a high-performance, high-revving, high-profile (and, in the long term, high-maintenance) sports car that is phenomenal both on the track and as a daily driver. It will turn heads and get attention every time you take it out (I love the looks from all angles). You'll go through tires every 12K to 15K miles. It absolutely sticks to the road in the twisties. It is ok at low revs but astounding over 3.5K rpms and is a hoot to drive. Everyone should own one at least once. It is a good deal smaller and if you are over 6' (I'm 6'2) that could make a difference.

The F10 has moved the 5-series a bit away from sportiness and towards luxury. It seems to be a great car in its own right. But, even with some ///M-dressing, by no means is it a high performance vehicle bordering-on-super-car like the M3. I thoroughly enjoyed driving both the F10 535i and 550i but, like you, am not blown away by its looks (not sure if I would look over my shoulder at it in a parking lot...). And the F10 (either engine) seems to pack more punch than the M3 at the lower rpms. But the added weight (from the E60) seems to work against the sportiness a bit - especially in the twisties. Having said all that, I am seriously considering moving to the F10 from the M3 some time next year. I've had my fun and now want to go back to something a bit larger. Both are great cars. Good luck with your decision.
My story is pretty similar. After four 5ers (see signature for details, but included an E39 M5), I went to a 335i, and then an E90 M3. (One reason I went to the Three was that I never warmed up to the styling of the E60. Two words: "Dame Edna".) After the M3, I'm seriously considering going back to the Five (probably 550i). HoganzDad has it exactly right -- the M3 garners a lot of attention. Start it up, and anybody within earshot who has ANY interest in cars will perk up at the exhaust note. But it's a high-strung vehicle. Things don't get really interesting until you're north of about 6k RPMs; on the 550i I drove, the low-end torque was a total kick. I have the same concerns about the F10 and its position too far to "luxury" on the "sport...luxury" continuum. Of course it won't handle like the M3, but I think I'll enjoy the car and the toys. (Okay, I admit it, I'm a gadget guy.) And I think it's always a delight to see a car like that with a manual transmission (which is non-negotiable in my cars).
Fives: '11 F10 550i, '02 E39 M5, '00 E39 540i/6, '97 E39 528i, '92 E34 525i
Others: VW, MBz, Peugeot, Toyota, Olds
Appreciate 0