View Single Post
      12-19-2010, 07:54 AM   #11
pharding
Major
Rep
Drives: 23 Audi Q4 e-tron + 14 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarBrain View Post
Although it is too early to tell, but which car do you think is more reliable and not have to spend too much time in the shop for repair after the warranty runs out.
Residuals are related to projected future demand and depreciation which does correlate to projected future reliability.

The V8 has been around for a while and has been problem free. Unless you use regularly at the top of its potential, it is over designed by a wide margin. However it is more expensive to run because of the increased gas consumption which ultimately will buy some repairs on the 535i. The previous iteration of the 535i with its twin turbos had some issues, but none have been reported on the F10 iteration which was redesigned. The 528 engine has been around forever in some iteration going back to 2001. It is bullet proof. Some sub assemblies are manufactured by vendors, i.e. seats, transmissions, dashboard assembly, etc. BMW is solely responsible for their engine design, engineering, and manufacturing. These engines are certainly among the best in the world. On sheer conjecture in response to your original question I would guess that the V8 ultimately would have fewer repair issues than the 535i because the V8 is so grossly over-powered and you just do not opportunity to use its massive potential in the US. If you are concerned about reliability and intend to keep your car forever, I would change the oil twice as often as the manufacturer recommends and maintain the engine properly.
Appreciate 0