View Single Post
      01-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
AVIMAX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: last BMW was 2014 535xd

I find when I am on-off-on the accelerator, there is hesitation. I think it is due to combination of electric throttle, and gearbox. If I am accelerating smoothly, no hesitation. If I accelerate, back off the throttle for a second, then get back on the throttle, there is a good 1-2 seconds of pause before the car reacts. It is not turbo lag, it is just a dead spot, nothing happens, gears don't change, engine doesn't rev, just nothing! Very annoying. I have had this happen a few times when entering traffic. Pull out across traffic to make a left turn, enter the middle of the road waiting for a gap and slowly accelerating at the same time, then foot off the accelerator for a second, then go when I see a gap. The car just does nothing for 1-2 seconds, then reacts. I have found when I switch to Sport mode from Normal mode, the pause is less noticeable, I think because the gearbox holds the gear longer when I take my foot off the accelerator. I have tested it while driving straight at a constant speed, take my foot off the accelerator for a second, then floor it. It takes a long time for the car to react, but if while driving along I floor it without taking my foot off the accelerator first, the car reacts instantly. Just my feedback about my 2011 535ix in Toronto. I cannot compare this to my last BMW because it had a Manual transmission.
Appreciate 0