View Single Post
      01-02-2018, 05:05 AM   #24
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
I would always opt for the diesel version, especially for lower fuel costs and more real driving torque. It really comes down to how you drive. If you like to rev it up, get the gasser and enjoy frequent fill-ups. There is no comparison with older diesels except perhaps the 2005-2006 MB E320 CDI which was great. At 100,000 miles, the gassers start to need a lot while diesels are just breaking in.

PL
Not sure on what you base that final statement. Used to be like that with older and simple diesel designs.

Over here in the UK the modern diesel isn't proving that reliable and durable for high mileage. Obviously depends on use, short trips are not helpful. It is not always the basic engine, but it's the ancillaries that cause the issues. EGR, manifolds, swirl flaps, injectors, turbo, DPF, etc. We've also had a lot of BMW timing chain issues with our diesels, wearing out, breaking prematurely. I can't see the complex exhaust after treatments like SCR being cheap to run long term.

Buying on fuel costs in the US seems a strange reason. Europe maybe, where fuel costs have a larger impact. The 535i is such a sweet engine, even guys like me (who have diesel in the blood) may/do prefer the 'i' to the 'd', unless high annual mileage makes the case for the diesel impelling.

Torque ... understand that (I've run the 3.0d motors) but the 535i only needs a few more revs to keep pace, and is much more enjoyable to drive.

Don't get me wrong, the 530d (535d US) is an excellent motor, but when you have a very competitive cost choice in the 535i, why bother?
Appreciate 1
TTG936.00