View Single Post
      08-20-2016, 01:49 PM   #31
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
Not doubting your experience/judgement, but is it possible that you guys are happy because you haven't tried set of non run flats on your current car ?

Similar to you, like I said, I'm pretty happy with my winter run flats, but once I make the switch every spring, I realize again how much "better" they are. Consistently quieter, more comfortable, more precise (more road feel) and better grip.
True, haven't tried any non run-flats on the current car, but based on experience with the E91 and knowing what run-flat characteristics are the issue, knew what I was wanting and looking for when choosing the F11 specification.

I don't doubt at all that on some F10/F11 setups I'd be changing to non run-flats, Michelin PSS at that.

I've taken particular note of comments from other F10/F11 users in the UK, and changing over to non run-flats is not reported to be anything like the same, for ride improvements, as doing so in the E90/E60 era.

I know if I was changing to non run-flats on my F11, I'd seriously be thinking of up sizing the rims to run lower profiles, get a higher spring rate in the tires to firm up the ride and handling.

This time around I wasn't wanting the same hassle of carrying a spare wheel in the trunk space, so getting a good run-flat compromise was how I chose my F11's specification. Pleased to say it has worked and almost 4-years on have no regrets on how the car drives.

Now the E91, that was a disaster before changing wheel sets, tires and suspension damping.

Just to put my drive in perspective. With Adaptive Drive and 18" run-flats the ride is smoother than my brother in law's Jaguar XJ with CATS and 19" non run-flat tires. I thought the Jag was good before getting the F11 and riding in both vehicles.
Appreciate 0