View Single Post
      11-24-2009, 07:46 PM   #7
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

I don't think BMW is going to increase the price much, if at all. I was comparing prices for the now old (E60) 5 and new E on the maker's canadian websites, and here's what I found:

Before the new E came out, Mercedes used to target E300 to 528i, E350 to 535i, and E550 to 550i. I'm not saying the power was the same, I'm just saying that's what the pricing reflected.

With the new model, they've dropped the E300 (for now at least), and the E350 compares to the 528i (+/- $2000 or so). The E550 is MUCH cheaper than the 550i.

With that in mind, I think BMW cannot increase the prices.

Also, as much as we all think the 5 is in the same league as the E (or vice versa), I really think they are two COMPLETELY separate cars that just happen to be the same size and similar price. My dad bought an E last year, and although I personally still don't like the car at all, it's a really nice car for its target population, which I think is different than that of the 5. The E is a comfortable luxury cruiser, where as the 5 is a (semi-big, semi-luxury, sports sedan -- in my opinion). I agree it's not a sports car, but for its size, its sporty.
Appreciate 0