Markee
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedTrip View Post
Sorry to hear of this.

I'd be inclined to reject it - only been on the road a couple of days, presumably well less than 1K miles .....

A major change like a gearbox will impact a lot of things under-bonnet - frankly, it'll never be the same as when it left the factory .... even a main dealer with plenty of resources wont be able to do the work as well as the factory building up from scratch ....

One thing that surprise me is that the fault was 'allowed' thru all the checks - Factory, PDI et al ...
Less than 100 miles actually!

It's not quite as simple as that. It's a company purchase through a leasing company so doesn't fall under consumer law.

For this reason, it's not my decision to make. I have asked the leasing company what their procedures are for rejecting a vehicle, and what criteria they have for instigating it. However, I am extremely busy and just don't have time to go backwards and forwards to a dealer whilst they fix faults. If it does turn out to be a lemon, it will be going back!

At BMW's and the dealers defence, the fault only comes to light when the car is driven. Manoeuvring around at low speed is not a problem so the fault didn't come to light driving off the production line, driving onto transport, manoeuvre ring around the dealership etc. I don't think it's practical for the dealer to take out a new car for an extensive test drive to test all the systems - as an owner I wouldn't want the dealer putting miles on the car just to test for what is, in essence, a very rare occurrence and shouldn't happen.
Appreciate 0