General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskdale View Post
Thanks both Mobileum and shawnsheridan

I have spent hours researching this but there seems to be conflicting information. BMW in some of their documentation say you must have a snap-in to play video and in some documentation says that to use the apps you must have a snap-in. No where apart from this thread have I read anywhere about using the Aux input for Video. The lead that shawnsheridan suggests is interesting in that its description is "BMW In-Car iPod/iPhone Audio Video USB Adapter Cable 61122179623" which mentions video, although the description only mentions Audio. Does the video get transferred as video or is it streamed digitally over the USB? Does anyone have both Media/Video and Apps working with an iPod Touch using a cable only and no Snap-in ?

Many Thanks
I will take a stab at answering this, however, in no way am I an authority on this.

If you want fullest iPhone/iPod integration including Video, you need Option 6NF Smartphone Integration which adds a second USB port in the USB hub for the the base plate / snap-in adapter use. Besides adding charging and use of the vehicle's aerial antennae, would allow for example an iPhone to be cradled and an iPod to be plugged in to the 6FL USB port in the center console, with the 6FL port taking priority when two devices are connected simultaneously. Adding to this Option 6NR ConnectedDrive, for which Option 6NF is prerequisite, will add BMW Apps including the iPod Out / PlugIn, which changes the iDrive screen to the same look and feel as the iPod function on an iPhone, and Video Playback, which enables video playback from the iPhone via the iDrive display.

The question remains whether you can play video without 6NF, and I believe with a 6VC Combox equipped vehicle, and the new Combox specific 61122179623 cable it is possible, albeit with all functions controlled via the iPhone / iPod as opposed to the iDrive controller.

Looking at the "F10 Cable adapter for Apple iPod / iPhone" in RealOEM confirms that 61120440812 is a "Audio Adapter" for non-Combox vehicles, and that 61122179623 is a "Video / Audio Adapter" for Combox equipped vehicles.

That said, looking at the two cables in detail shows that the 3.5 mm mini-jack on 61120440812 is a TRS Connector (tip, ring, sleeve) whereas on the new 61122179623 cable it is a TRRS Connector (tip, ring, ring, sleeve). A typical stereo cable needs only 3 contacts - Ground, Left and Right. To get video, you need another contact for composite video, which would explain the additional 4th contact on the new version. This can be easily seen in the attached pictures.

Unfortunately, there are many merchants selling the new 61122179623 cable, and incorrectly including pictures of the old cable, or worse actually selling the old cable, so I would make sure before buying one that it in fact has the TRRS mini-jack.

This looks to be a good one from Prestige BMW in NJ:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-iPhone-4...-/180717597164

I do not have the cable, so I have no way of testing this myself; however, my dealer has one in stock that he will sell me for $60 that I may grab after work and tryout with an iPod. I upgraded the OS on my Verizon Blackberry Torch 9850 last week to OS 7.1, which added Mobile Hotspot functionality, so I am thinking I will add that feature to my existing data plan, and avoid having to use a Mi-Fi or the PDANET and Bluetooth DUN and iBluever.

If anyone knows of any advantage to using PDANET and Bluetooth DUN and iBluever versus WiFi Mobile Hotspot, or if anything I have written is wrong, please correct me. Thanks!
Attached Images

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 02-01-2012 at 09:38 PM..
Appreciate 0