06-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky-13 View Post
Hi everyone
First post on here. I've had my 520d Msport for a few months now and absolutely love it! But I've started to notice something that's niggling me.

I travel quite a bit on motorways and I've occasionally noticed that the engine note suddenly becomes slightly deeper for no apparent reason. The best way I can describe it is that it sounds like someone has put their foot over the exhaust blocking the escaping gases. It also appears to coincide with a sudden drop in fuel economy (according to the onboard "average") and it feels slightly more sluggish.

It's hasn't dropped into eco-mode and the auto transmission is in the correct gear (my old 530d used to drop a gear when it felt like it!). I have a thought on it but don't want to be charged £40 for wasting my local dealers time trying to find an intermittent niggle! Oh, and I'm not going to say what I think it is so I don't sway any opinions!

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Keith
You are describing a DPF regeneration. All are signs of it happening. Does it occur something like 300 - 600 miles apart and last about 6 - 10 miles? If so, typical DPF regen'.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0