vuthy335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i montego blue - 2011

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by antaholics View Post
I am so glad I found this post. Great job with the wrap!!

I've done some wrapping before (roof, mirror caps 4 times, and all my interior trims) on my F10 and am finally starting my own full car wrap project.

Some notes from me to share, and some questions!

Notes:

1. I wrapped my interior with 3M 1080 black brushed aluminum too! The center console wasn't so bad, there's easy tutorials on how to remove everything. However I wasn't able to remove the cigarette tray cover and the cup holder cover, so the hinge-side corners of that were iffy.

- I just did the interior door panels just cause I was bored. I wasn't to onto it so I didn't bother to get to deep into do that.

2. After wrapping one of my mirrors 4 times (with peeling) and the other one twice, I kind of figured it out. I originally used Vvivid 5D carbon fiber and it is too thick to work through the tight inside corner of the mirror, even with pre-stretching. On recommendation from Metro Restyling (thanks Matt!), I went with the SOTT Elemento-6 Gloss Carbon Fiber, which worked almost perfect. I messed up and ripped the inside corner a bit and had to use a second piece, but the overlap is smooth and I didn't stretch very much so I don't expect it to lift. Overall, not worth the 10+ hours I've spent on them so far.

- after several attempts at the side mirrors. My mirrors isn't wrapped right now. If I see one little lift or wrinkle it bothers the fuck out of me. So I just ripped it off. 5D carbon is probably the worse to use to wrap side mirrors. Learned that first hand also. Lol

Now for my questions... looking over the car a few things concern me:

1. Did you have to remove the parking sensors to wrap them individually? How tedious of a process is it to remove the bumper and then the parking sensors? Did you wrap the front bumper with the bumper off, or on the car?

- when I first wrapped my car I removed the parking sensors and did them individually. It require some extra time. I don't think it a worth it. So I just wrapped over it. I like the look without the holes better anyways. Removing the bumper isn't hard. Once the bumper is removed , removing the parking sensors is easy. It's just a clip holding in place. I wrapped the bumper on the car. But with out the lights. So I can have that extra hollow space. You'll want to get the wrap nice and tight and tucked under on the inside of the bumper. Otherwise when it bakes in the sun. There's a pretty good chance that it will wrinkle and shrink back out. The deep inlays on the bumper is what sucks.

2. Did you *really* have to remove all the lights to wrap under them? I've seen a few videos from The Wrap Institute where he uses knifeless tape and does not take lights off. I'm not sure if that affects longevity.

- I would recommend removing the lights for best results and longevity of the wrap staying in place.

3. What did you do with door jambs?

- I didn't do anything with the door jams. Didn't feel it to be anything important enough to do.

4. If anyone has been able to wrap the mirror in 1 piece without lifting, please teach

- if it's an f10 with the side turn indicators on the mirrors. It shouldn't be hard cause only half of it is painted and the rest is black.

5. For door handle inserts, I can't seem to get the very corners of it to stay in, and my cut looks a bit jagged. Any tips?
- what do you mean door handle inserts? Like the inside of the door handle??? I've learn you can't get it to completely get it to go all the way around. It won't stay. It'll peel right away as soon as the car bakes in the sun. I just got it enough to just curve in a little and then I cut it. People are only gonna see the outside part of the door handle anyways.

I hope I was able to help a little with things. If you have any other questions. Feel free to ask and I'll do the best I can to explain how I did it. For the mean time. Here's some pics of a car I just finished Monday night.
[IMG][/IMG]
Appreciate 0