10-13-2011, 09:46 PM   #80
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by WULFFZA View Post
There are a few very sensible posts here evaluating the merits and shortfalls this engine presents for it's application in the 528i in the US.

I put it in that context because if you consider the global application of this engine and the market preferences in countries outside the US it makes good business sense why they are doing it.

Us purists will resist the wave of change to smaller capacity forced induction cars, but the large majority of buyers couldn't care less how many cylinders it has, and over time we too will accept it and when we need to get something newer we will find the one that offers the linear feel and sound that we so admire on the NA configuration.

This engine will be employed in multiple models around the world badged from '16i to '28i - in 1series, forthcoming 3 series, 5 series, X3, Z4 etc. They will drop multiple blocks in the process and replace them with one engine tuned to different outputs. Substantial cost savings. It annoys me because I see it as a different form of badge engineering, but that is the way everyone is going. It seems like they're pulling a fast one on us, but I ask what premium would you, and the majority of buyers, be willing to pay for old technology because it sounds better and feels better and is less efficient so the Company will be penalized in the long term and the prices will go up.

The rest of the world is not averse to 4cylinder engines. The 20d may be the biggest seller in any model around the world... All that said, I think this engine in the 528i is fine, if it were also a persuasive cost saving over the 2011 model, because the reality is this engine is being used for the purpose of cost saving, but it's not cheaper. I wouldn't hesitate to bypass this one for a 535i, if you're leasing or taking a loan, the difference in monthly payment is hardly worth mention. I applaud Audi for their pricing of the A6 2.0T, that's quite aggressive, they deserve to do well with it.

In a different application I think this engine is a worthy replacement to the I-6 without a cost reduction, such as in the Z4. The reviews of this model I have read are very positive, mentioning a pizzazz that it's funny to hear and work with. I have yet to test drive this engine, when I do it'll be Z4!

So there you go, my 2cents.

Btw, my BMW experience has been parents owned 2002tii and a couple of E12 4cylinders in the 70s as well as an E34 525i (which ran 500,000kms) in South Africa and more recently my Z4 2.5i, 545i and recently purchased 08 M5. You might say I am an NA biased fanboy, I guess, but a turbo BMW is likely to feature in my future and I am ok with that, but perhaps I will hold onto the S85 ;-)
Good post!
Appreciate 0