06-26-2012, 09:45 AM   #66
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Well, this is now bordering on the ridiculous so I'll have to slam it shut here. My original post was:

I found this little gem yesterday. The day of the BMW press release Auto Week Magazine wrote this:

By: Davey G. Johnson

"Strange as it might seem, BMW cribbed one from General Motors' Pontiac Fiero playbook—the plastic body panels are all removable."

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...#ixzz1yskkU61S

So go have your argument with Auto Week Magazine. The writer Davey Johnson and I both understand engineering and automotive history; you apparently don't.

And learn the meaning of the word "with".

Hopefully you understand the term "cribbed". But just to save you some time: Cribbed - transitive and intransitive verb - to steal somebody's ideas or work.
It seems very apparent that with all those ruffled feathers of yours floating around that confined coop, you've missed some key points already made in this thread.

1934: Citroën (and Chrysler) "pioneers" the FIRST mass-produced self-supporting monocoque vehicles.

1955-1975: Citroën produces the DS 19, a self-supporting monocoque available with a plastic roof.

1982: Citroën launches the BX, a self-supporting monocoque with extensive use of plastic body panels (bonnet, tailgate, bumpers). Citroën sells 2,315,739 units.

1984: GM/Pontiac launches the Fiero, a turd on wheel that "cribbed" the idea to use a monocoque with plastic body panels from other manufactures. GM sells 370,168 units - whoop-dee-doo

Now, let's compare the above history with your original unmodified BOLD claim:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
The construction design of a "self-supporting monocoque" with plastic body panels had already been pioneered by General Motors
Whomp, whomp, whahhhh - WRONG!

As I said before, GM was not the pioneer and flaming the Z1 for "cribbing" ideas can directly be applied to the Fiero as well. Which once again means your argument is false and has no legs to stand on.

Checkmate, again....

The Eftreeoh challenge: Instead of perpetuating and adding conditions to your original argument, how about actually providing facts to your claim that with the Fiero, GM truly "pioneered" (as in was the first) "self-supporting monocoque" with plastic body panels.

Appreciate 0