04-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #34
///Mposter
Macgyver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yallmb
So, I4 was quicker than the I6, I'm cool with that because the factory says that the I4 has 30lb-ft more torque than the I6. However, what's up with the HP ratings? The factory rated them both at 240 HP but the I6 only put out 208 HP at the crank on this particular dyno. Not really liking that. They should both be putting out at least 240 HP at the crank.
Yeah what's up with that? I agree that it seems that BMW is only putting actual horsepower at crank for turbo cars but for naturally aspirated, it's with driveline loss. If they want a "real comparison " give the i6 a chip to get it to 240 crank and I'm sure they will be side by side. Of course that defeats the purpose of the "show " . They , BMW are clearly trying to make customers happier about the 4cyl models by giving them higher horsepower numbers than stated so they will beat the previous engine model. Just wait for the first reprogram by service where they detune it to say 210 crank, and let's see if people complain. ( same as the 335i reprogram dilemma )

*off soap box*