01-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #22
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Same here.... love the 535i for what it is. The test drive is the only way, as only the OP knows what he wants from a car. The right specification 3-series may be more appropriate, if a more sporty drive is wanted.

I test drove a 520d and it just didn't do anything for me, would have got me looking at other marques, if I hadn't known a decent spec'd 530d/535i offered so much more.

HighlandPete
Yes a 535i offers much more, but the cost per mile is almost twice what the 520d will set you back. When you search within the same cost category, the 520d is king.

On top, in most driving conditions the difference is small, I do 70% highway driving at rediculous low speeds on cruise control and here the 520d reigns seen its' incredible frugality, 25% in the traffic jam where the engine is stopped-started, and 5% more motivational stuff. Only in the latter context, the 535i is releasing its' extra stuff probably with some authority then. I also agree the engine sound is much sweeter, but for twice the cost?

I agree also that it is a mental comfort state you're in when you know you're driving a 530d or so, but in real life with real money, I also feel mental comfort knowing that driving my 5-series is not a hold-up on my bank account...
Appreciate 0