11-17-2011, 09:55 AM   #183
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC View Post
Ummm....The Austin track is less than 10 miles from the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport. And less than 15 miles from the center of downtown Austin. It is definitely not in the middle of no where, unless we have different definitions for that statement.

Also Texas has three of the top ten most poplulated cities in the US. All within easy driving distance of the track location.
This would be great if it were near I35, but it's truly in the middle of a bunch of country roads. The area south of the airport is rural. Just look at Silverstone to see what a pain in the ass a lack of infrastructure presents for race weekends. If Austin had plans to run the light rail out there, build some roads, use the buses, etc., it might work, but they're treating it like a burden and doing their best to avoid it. Just getting from the airport (which doesn't have rail support) to the track will be a mess even with a car.

I have two sisters that both live near downtown Austin and one's an F1 fan. I'd absolutely love for this to work out, but it's a mess. Look no further than Motorsports Ranch in Cresson, TX, a car country club, that's technically in the DFW metroplex. It's a serious pain in the ass to get to from downtown Dallas and if you tried to run an actual event there, with six figures of fans out there, it would bring that rural area to its knees, much like the NASCAR track north of Ft. Worth.
Appreciate 0