View Single Post
      08-15-2010, 07:57 PM   #1
flyinbrian
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

2011 535i Review/Pictorial coming from 2008 M3 (Space Gray, Oyster/Black, Light Wood)

First off the 2011 BMW 5 Series is not an M3 as it should not be. The 5 series is definitely much more of an executive cruiser than balls to the wall track machine. Not that the M3 was not completely capable of daily driving. Actually it was an excellent day to day driver but the 535i is much more luxurious and creature comfort type of vehicle where as the M3 is a redline let’s hear that engine scream every chance you get romance.

Styling:

Exterior styling is definitely much more pleasing to the eye in person than pictures suggest. The car is actually full of lines and carries a very nice stance that you would never really notice in pictures. The car also looks much better in my opinion with the larger 19” wheels.

Name:  brian1.jpg
Views: 56405
Size:  117.6 KB

Name:  brian2.jpg
Views: 48827
Size:  106.1 KB

Interior styling is very elegant and has a very nice feel to it. I must also emphasize that the Nappa leather definitely to me has a much higher quality feel and look to it compared to the Dakota leather. Electronic and creature comforts are no comparison to the M3 as the new 5 series has raised the bar.

Name:  brian3.jpg
Views: 81378
Size:  104.0 KB

Example of the quality and look of the Nappa Leather.

Name:  brian4.jpg
Views: 72050
Size:  101.6 KB

Good photo of the Light Wood option.

Name:  brian5.jpg
Views: 73099
Size:  102.7 KB

Name:  brian6.jpg
Views: 68962
Size:  94.3 KB

Name:  brian7.jpg
Views: 79180
Size:  105.0 KB

Integrated Smartphone Option: Pricey but very convenient.

Name:  brian8.jpg
Views: 66553
Size:  151.2 KB

Performance:

Engine performance of the 535i is actually much better than I anticipated. Around town the low RPM torque actually gives it a feeling of almost more power than the M3. On the highway it pulls very nicely but does not compare at all to the high RPM pull of the brilliant M3 motor. Steering performance which has been a very hot topic is well warranted. The steering is much more vague compared to the M3’s direct connection with the road but as I drive it more it should be as this is not meant to compete with the M3. The Dynamic damping does make things more direct and connected but the changes are fairly subtle but nice to have that options it offers.

Name:  brian9.jpg
Views: 5960
Size:  142.8 KB

Conclusion:

In conclusion I am very happy with the new 535i as it is what I was looking for in a day to day driver. It is a beautiful luxurious car that still has enough performance that makes it a joy to drive in a more relaxed and comfortable way compared to my M3.

My car's configuration:
535i Sedan Details
3.0 liter, 6-cylinder engine with TwinPower Turbo technology
Rear-wheel drive

Space Gray Metallic
Oyster and Black Nappa Leather
Light wood trim
Cold Weather Package
Dynamic Handling Package
Premium Package
Premium Package 2
Sport Package