View Single Post
      10-07-2011, 08:23 PM   #36
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

I think those that are posting that people should not care if its an inline 6 just for the sake of being an inline 6. I totally agree pure performance numbers on paper can easily favor the FI car but nobody that has driven a 255hp N52 engine (my only experience) would know exactly why we are bothered by this.

Power delivery from a small turbo engine is SO SO much different than the linear power of an inline 6. Now some people appreciate the extra low end grunt and prefer more torque down low. This goes for the 535 too. However anyone who has been more a traditional bmw fan, appreciates that long, steady climbing power that keeps pulling harder and harder up until 7k or whatever the redline is. This was the magic of M cars until this last generation.

Second thing that I think people overlook is the sound. Clearly bmw thinks sound is important given what they are doing with the new M5 and their exhaust soundtrack deal.

I loved to listen to the I6 rev to 7k. Loved the downshifts of it. Loved every sound it made. Was so unique and the I4 or n54/55 engine do not sound the same. NA engines have characteristics that are sometimes more intangible because on paper it does not tell the whole story.

So point is that I don't think people want the I6 just for the sake of it being an I6 but rather the unique, less tangible/objective factors such as power delivery and sound.

Anyone who has driven an n55/n54 car knows that the car falls flat on its face after 6k RPMS and instead of building more and more power up to redline, it falls off quicker and quicker after 5k. Its fast forsure but does not have the same deliver of the less powerful NA cars. Not everyone is all about pure numbers.

With that said my S65 V8 sounds amazing and delivers up to 8400 just like the NA i6 did. Will definetly need to hang onto this one
Appreciate 0