Thread: Software
View Single Post
      03-18-2011, 01:28 PM   #2
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

While I did order the nav in my car (to be picked up the end of April), I did look into map updates, and you're right, the price is pretty outrageous...you can buy a lifetime update for a handheld for much less than they are charging for one update (not counting the cost of the thing in the first place!). I'm not sure how often I'll spring for it. Around here, you can buy updated maps for about $100 US retail for a handheld (or less). The European mapset from Garmin costs about $130 US retail. But, unless someone tweaks things, these updates won't work on another's system, even though the mapset data may come from the same company. IOW, they've got you over a barrel. I got the impression that you could buy the upgrade and do it yourself, but that may not be true. In the US, it shows up on the accessories page, where you can buy things direct. You might need a laptop computer to hook up to do it, but the USB port is in the glovebox. I'd ask, and see if it works that way there as well, might save you the labor.
Appreciate 0