View Single Post
      03-11-2013, 03:48 PM   #11
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA79 View Post
I have recently done two 200 mile return journeys to Birmingham from London. The journey computer has shown a maximum of 38.5mpg for a non-stop late evening trip at average speed of 70 mph. I cannot get any closer to 44 mpg. This was with careful, economic driving in ECO PRO mode using the eco route on the sat nav. So I followed all the rules to squeeze the maximum out of it.

The acceleration lag is also a tad annoying. When I need to accelerate quickly, I now tap the mode selector up twice. It accelerates better, but I still take the time to press a button. I have also tried using the paddle shift. This puts it in sports mode straight away, but I feel that the car jerks a bit when it drops a gear before accelerating.

In sports mode it is awesome though. I generally drive without extra passengers, so the extra weight shouldn't make a great difference in handling.

The "modes" on the Active Hybrid only tweak the gear box, not the suspension, so corners and still a bit bouncy.
I'd say 38.5mpg is a very good figure, if it is near to the actual figure. The only way I believe you will get near to 44mpg is slow down and drive less than 60mph.

When you say using the paddles put you in sport, is the Hybrid different to standard F10 models? As if you do it, in say comfort mode, it should revert back to D after a few seconds, if you don't touch the paddles after a couple of changes.

I gather your Hybrid hasn't any active suspension options, but steering should still weight/firm up a bit if you have the 'chassis' option in iDrive and you check it.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0