01-10-2018, 08:42 PM   #33
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Not sure on what you base that final statement. Used to be like that with older and simple diesel designs.

Over here in the UK the modern diesel isn't proving that reliable and durable for high mileage. Obviously depends on use, short trips are not helpful. It is not always the basic engine, but it's the ancillaries that cause the issues. EGR, manifolds, swirl flaps, injectors, turbo, DPF, etc. We've also had a lot of BMW timing chain issues with our diesels, wearing out, breaking prematurely. I can't see the complex exhaust after treatments like SCR being cheap to run long term.

Buying on fuel costs in the US seems a strange reason. Europe maybe, where fuel costs have a larger impact. The 535i is such a sweet engine, even guys like me (who have diesel in the blood) may/do prefer the 'i' to the 'd', unless high annual mileage makes the case for the diesel impelling.

Torque ... understand that (I've run the 3.0d motors) but the 535i only needs a few more revs to keep pace, and is much more enjoyable to drive.

Don't get me wrong, the 530d (535d US) is an excellent motor, but when you have a very competitive cost choice in the 535i, why bother?
My 535d is my 5th diesel. The last 4 cars with diesel engines have gone at least 100,000 miles with no sign of any oil use, aging, or decrease in fuel economy or acceleration. When I sold 3 of them, they had 156,000 miles, 203,000 miles, 103,000 miles, and currently my daughter's has 105,000 miles (with "normal" oil use). The second one is currently at 350,000 miles with no engine issues, and saved me approximately $10,000 over 200,000 miles in premium gasoline cost compared to diesel.

Dunno, but the BMW gassers don't seem to go that far too commonly, but new tech is quite good for them too.

I am incredibly unimpressed with US drivers' choices of SUV's, pickup trucks, big gasoline engines etc. for a number of reasons. But honestly, who cares... Gasoline's pricing reflects a surplus of gasoline type distillate when diesel is in biggest demand across the globe. That is the reason for the price differential. Unless oil companies know how to economically fractionate to create more diesel, which I don't think is economical, the gasoline is dumped on the world market at low prices....

PL
Appreciate 0